Thursday, January 29, 2009

Earl Grey and White Chocolate Chunk Muffins

I found this recipe and got excited for three reasons:



  1. Oh man, I love baking.

  2. Tea in a muffin sounded really neat- like the aromatics and white chocolate would go really well together.

  3. My boyfriend has this thing for Earl Grey tea. Gotta support his antioxidant habit!


I didn't take a picture of the finished product, but here's one from the original source of the recipe (thanks, eat me, delicious):

Mine looked pretty similar except for the important fact that they were a little beyond al dente... i.e. crunchified. I didn't really mind, but they were crispy enough to keep me from bringing them in to share with co-workers, so the boyfriend was 'lucky' enough to keep them all. Really, though, as far as flavor goes- they were pretty great!

Next time, aside from the obvious reduction of cooking time, I'd probably go balls-to-the-wall and add more mashed up tea. Chris and I were both a bit nervous about the amount that went in, since Earl Grey is pretty pungent stuff.

One other issue I had is this- Just when exactly would you eat an Earl Grey 'muffin' with white chocolate chunks? Seems a little sweet for breakfast, but then a little, well, UN-sweet for dessert. I know Chris had one this morning (what a nice boy!) but I don't know if I could swing that, myself.

So here we go- stats time:

Flavor: **** (pretty darn tasty)

Consistency: *** (a little dense for my liking)

Ease: ***** (super dooper easy)

I'll definitely make them again with the modifications above. Here's the original recipe, from eat me, delicious:

Earl Grey White Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Adapted from eat me, delicious; Adapted from Baking From My Home To Yours

2/3 cup sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsps baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 Tbs ground Earl Grey tea (I'll make it 2 Tbs, next time)

3/4 cup sour cream

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled

3/4 cup white chocolate chunks

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400F. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups.In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground Earl Grey tea. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter together until well blended.

Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don't worry about being thorough - a few lumps are better than over mixing the batter. Stir in the white chocolate chunks. Divide the batter evenly among the muffins cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes*, or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.

*I'll reduce the time to 15, next round.

2 comments:

  1. I've had baked goods with tea on my mind today... how perfect. Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Chicken,
    Next I'm going to try the same recipe with some vanilla apricot white tea (Tazo brand) that I have, and maybe add in some dried apricots!

    Hope they turn out well for you!

    ReplyDelete